- DIVER: Brighton Dube
- NATIVE COUNTRY: Zimbabwe
- CATEGORY: Coder
- DIVE: React
- Level: 1
- REQUIREMENTS: Level 1 (Know the basics of React)
When and Why Did You Decide to Pursue This Dive At This Level?
How Long Did It Take For You To Accomplish This Dive At This Level From The Day You Decided To Pursue It, And Why Did It Take That Long?
What Was The Hardest Part About Achieving This Dive Level?
However, prior to React Hooks, most people preferred using class-based components because functional components were not capable of handling state. What this means for a beginner, is that most tutorials found online are using class components and it made my learning difficult since the course I was taking had only taught me how to use functional components.
What Was The Easiest Part About Achieving This Dive Level?
What Is Your Advice For Someone Who Is Pursuing This Dive And Level?
- If you would like to learn React basics, I say go for it. It is a fun Library to build front-end web apps with. You can easily connect it with your favorite API and have a fully functional app in no time. Components are reusable, so after a while, you can have your own library of components that you can use across multiple web apps and it will speed up your coding.
- Following along with a tutorial where one just shows you how to create a certain app can fool you into believing that you are learning the material, but when you finally need to use the skill you realize that you know very little to nothing. I believe in learning by doing, building your own apps, trying to figure things out by yourself, and using the docs if you get stuck. If you don’t understand the docs, asking on Stack Overflow will also help you.
What Are Some Of The Best Resources You Recommend to Those Pursuing This Dive at This Level, And Why Do You Recommend Them? Please Include Relevant Weblinks, If Applicable.
There are countless free resources online to learn the basics of React.
- This Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLX62G4lc44) by Free Code Camp is really useful. It’s long, I know, but it will teach you the basics really well because it requires you to do exercises which really help you to master the skill.
- Of course, Break Diving has a great community of React developers, so you can find very friendly React coders there who can help guide you.
Tell Us A Story Of One Of Your Adventures While Pursuing This Dive.
While I was learning the React basics I decided that I wanted to apply my knowledge to some real-world use cases. I decided to search online for coding opportunities and I came across one non-profit that required a web developer to redesign their website. I let them know that I could do it for them and they gave me the task.
They didn’t require the use of React at all. I could have coded the site in simple HTML and CSS and it would have been great. However, I decided I wanted to use my React skills so I coded the whole website from scratch using React and a few other packages and it came out great. The client was happy and we are now friends!
How did you prove you met the requirements for this level?
Here are some React apps that I have created that I shared with the dive committee:
- https://vrheaven.netlify.app/ – An app for VR Heaven
- https://mini-reddit.netlify.app/ – A miniature version of Reddit
- https://keeper-app-react.netlify.app/ – A notes app
Will you be pursuing the next level? If so, what is your plan? If not, why not?
I will most certainly be pursuing the next level. In fact I have started. Level 2 requires that I code something in React from scratch that is live and I have a live website that I coded from scratch using React for a client. I also have other small apps like to-do apps that I coded in React and they are online for the whole world to see. I will continue writing bigger and better apps to improve my skills.
And having made this post, and provided adequate evidence to the dive committee, Brighton Dube is now hereby certified by Break Diving, Inc. as: CODER – REACT – LEVEL 1. Congratulations Brighton! Thank you for being an inspiration to others!
The author above wrote this WYSEguidance post as one of the certification requirements to become certified by Break Diving, Inc. for a dive completed. Would you also like to find greater success, happiness, and friendship, and make genuine supportive connections with others around the world pursuing your same dreams? We will certify you in your life accomplishments, and help you find new dives to pursue! Come join us at www.breakdiving.io and soon your story will be the next one you read about on this site!